Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 30 Halfway Through!

Today was a good Paleo day. I woke up completely sore throughout my legs from that workout at CF Newport Beach. Ouch!

I also received the results of my New Leaf testing. Pretty interesting. It tells me how many calories I burn at rest. I had to do a resting test, with a mask on my face. And then I had to do an exercising test, while running on a treadmill, again with a mask on my face. We have this machine at work, and employees get this test done for free. Usually it's a $250 test. And one of the coolest things is that it is compatible with my Garmin 310XT, so I'm excited to figure out how to use the data with my Garmin!

So, here's how the day went!

4:00AM Wake up. 5 1/2 hours sleep, ugh. I could barely peel myself out of bed. :( I was really cranky for the first few hours this morning, but walked around work with a big smile on my face, or at least I tried, LOL!

4:30AM Banana and grapes (I always have to eat something within half an hour of waking, or else I'll be REALLY cranky!)

7:45AM Apple and hard boiled egg

8:30AM Lara Bar and grapefruit (You can tell the lack of sleep was hitting me hard as I kept reaching for some carbs!)

12:30PM Green smoothie (kale, spinach, apple, ground flax seeds, plain protein powder) Gosh, I love drinking these! They aren't delicious, but my body LOVES and CRAVES them! I make them in a Blend-Tec Blender.

3:00PM Run 6 miles on the treadmill. I followed a workout that came from my New Leaf metabolic testing where I had to run intervals of 2 min (139-149 BPM) and then 1 min (149-159 BPM) It took about an hour and it kept me interested since I had to constantly fiddle with the incline and speed of the treadmill.

5:00PM 4 oz chicken breast

7:30PM chicken breast, spaghetti squash, mushrooms, and marinara sauce

I'm in about a 1000 calorie-deficit today. Although I didn't want to make this Paleo thing about weight loss, I'm curious now that I had my New Leaf testing. I want to lose about 13 lbs, at a rate of 1 lb a week. I'm supposed to keep my net carbs at 1600/day, so if I exercise, I need to eat more. Because I pack my lunch for the day, I didn't pack enough food today. I didn't feel super hungry at any point, but by not eating enough, I'm not recovering from hard workouts, and putting myself at risk for injury, overtraining, and possibly too high cortisol levels, among other things I'm not aware of. The other major problem is I'm just not getting enough sleep. My work days start early and end late. I just received a copy of the book, "Light's Out: Sleep Sugar and Survival." I've heard it mentioned on Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution podcast a lot and since I have been so sleep-deprived for the last few months, the book has caught my attention.

With that, time to hit the pillow! Good nite!

No comments: