Monday, February 21, 2011

Paleo Challenge: Day 1

5:00AM Wake up. I went to bed at 10:00PM. I fell asleep right away, but didn't feel the most refreshed when my alarm went off.
7:00AM Turkey burger patty, 4 oz sweet potatoes, 10 strawberries (I do a lot of dinner for breakfast due to convenience or whatever).
9:00AM Apple
9:20AM 8 mile run at the Back Bay
10:45AM Grapefruit
12:00PM 16 raw almonds, dried apple, 6 oz blueberries
12:45 PM Started my first day of my new workout program. I wrote a new 6-week strength-training program for myself. I want to increase my strength in all these lifts (front squat, back squat, overhead squat, deadlift, and bench press). I realize that my training for the OC Marathon on May 1st may interfere with me achieving greatest strength. However, all of these lifts plus some other strength work I have programmed into my routine will help increase core strength which will help me as a runner. My ultimate goal is to be a great runner, so I am willing let any potential strength gains take a hit.
Side note: I did mostly legs day. I did 115# front squat and a 90# barbell bench press! Woo hoo!
1:45PM 4 oz chicken breast, 4 oz sweeet potatoes, 1c. mixed veggies
4:00PM 16 raw almonds, 1/4 c. rasins
6:00PM 1 egg + 4 egg whites, 1 c. broccoli
8:30PM apple, 1 88% dark chocolate square

Macronutrient breakdown: 1640 calories, 96 g. protein, 224 g. carbohydrates, 40 g. fat

I definitely should have eaten more today. I had a super busy day at work and didn't bring enough food with me. There were Girl Scout cookies in the break room. It wasn't even a temptation, probably because I am committed to the next 60 days. You would think that by working in a gym with some amazingly fit personal trainers that such treats could be avoided in the break room, but. . . no.

Something else worth mentioning. . . today's diet is typical of what I have beeen eating. Going forward, I would like to experiment with different recipes to add variety to my diet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

a word from the experienced: overload your diet with veggies. your colon will thank you.

Michelle said...

I've been eating tons of veggies for years. My body is used to it so I don't get the bloating and gas that other people do when they change their diets! It's great!