Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 3: A cooking frenzy!


About 2-3 times a week, I have cook all my meals for the next few days. Here I have some veggies sauteeing on the upper left. Upper right I'm cooking up some lean ground turkey. And in the front pot is spaghetti squash!

So I woke up today feeling great! I got 7.5 hours sleep last night and slept like a baby!

8:00AM Woke up.

8:30 AM
1/4 c. dried apple, raw almonds

9:00AM
One hour spin class

10:45AM
raw almonds

11:30
1 egg and 2 egg whites with 4 oz imitation crab mixed in, baby carrots

I stopped at Sprout's this morning to buy some more food. On a Paleo diet, and not spending much time at home, you have to plan and prepare your meals ahead of time. Yes, this is very time-consuming. Twice a week, I go into a 1 1/2-2 hour cooking frenzy. . . washing, chopping, cooking, steaming, measuring, and portioning all my food into little Tupperware containers or plastic baggies. That way, in the morning when I head out to work, I can grab a few ready-made meals, throw them in a bag, and then keep them in the fridge at work. Or, during the day, if I come home for a few hours, rather than fishing around in the cupboard for something to eat, and noshing on dried fruit or raw almonds (which are healthy, but calorically dense), I already have some yummy meals ready to toss in the microwave ready to eat in just a few minutes. It's like I'm making my own "convenience foods"!

The time I take out of my day to prepare everything is SO WORTH IT! People say it's expensive to eat healthy. Sure, some healthier options out there (like coconut oil vs. vegetable oil) cost more. But in the long run, planning ahead and preparing your meals at home will save you beaucoup bucks, since you're not grabbing Subway or Flame Broiler, or eating whatever else is in the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.). So, in my mind, it's almost like I'm getting PAID for my time in the kitchen because it is saving me money in the long run!


1:00PM
2 oz chicken breast, 6 oz fresh blueberies, 2 dark chocolate squares

2:30PM 1 Hour weights. Today I did some 5x5 deadlifts and 5x5 overhead press. I got up to 135# in the deadlift (traditional) and failed on my last 65# overhead press. I began arching my back too much and it became more of a push press. (Sigh, I've forever been stuck at 65# and can't get more than that much weight over my head. Oh well, gotta keep on trying!)

3:45PM Branched Chain Amino Acids


5:00PM 1/2 of my spaghetti squash, ground turkey, and marinara sauce dinner

6:00PM 45 Minutes Tread & Shred Class

7:45PM The other 1/2 of spaghetti squash/ground turkey/marinara, more baby carrots, and 2 pimento-stuffed olives!

Macronutrient breakdown: 1194 calories, 73 g. protein, 121 g. carbs, 49 g. fat. I realize this is UNDEREATING and I DO NOT recommend this! Especially for my level of activity. I honestly did not feel that hungry today and when I totalled this up tonight, I was shocked and irritated with myself. Not eating enough will cause your body to start eating into muscle mass. Muscle recovery is slowed down and you risk overtrianing. It can also slow down your metabolism as your body can go into starvation mode. I do have some rice protein powder and might make a little protein shake with some frozen blueberries before I go to bed, but I hate eating anything this close to bedtime because when I have food in my stomach, it is sometimes hard to sleep.

9:30PM LIGHT'S OUT! Got an early morning trail run tomorrow! El Moro rocks my world!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

forgot just how good it feels to get that run in before heading into the office! thanks for joining me. next week let's talk recipes. i meant to chat more about that when i brought up the subject of sweet potatoes.

Olga said...

Keep writing, there is lots to learn from others!