Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 6: First long-ish run on Paleo!


I fell asleep around 10:00PM last night. Throughout the night, I kept waking up to the sound of rain. My thoughts kept on turning to the 10 mile run in the morning with the Equinox Road Running Club, of which I am one of the coaches. We have about 35 runners training for the OC Marathon and Half Marathon, many of whom are relatively new to running. And all week long, I had my eye on the weather forecast, which was for a cold winter storm--REALLY cold for Orange County. They were actually predicting SNOW down to the 500 foot level, which meant snow in the foothills. Our run this morning was in Crystal Cove State Park, so along the coast. We definitely didn't have to worry about snow at sea level, but I really hate running in the cold. I'm such a wimp when it comes to cold!

So when my alarm went off at 6AM, I immediately turned on my computer to check the weather forecast for the morning. Turns out we were SUPER LUCKY! We had a break from the rain from 7AM until 1PM! When our group started off on our run, the clouds were breaking up and we had some sun. It was cold and windy, but the scenery along the coast was beautiful! It ended up being a great run! Our runners were champs! No one complained (which is something I would do, lol), and I had the chance to run with and meet some more of our runners. I absolutely love running with these people, and I love coaching!

So, after one week of avoiding grains, legumes, and dairy (except for my 2 Golden Spoon cheats), I was curious to see how I would feel and perform on a long-ish run. I had a fruit snack at the 8 mile mark, which was made of different fruit purees. Paleo? Probably not. Rather than carrying Gu's or Jelly Belly Sport Beans, I want to try to fuel myself with whole foods. So the fruit snack probably wasn't the best choice. I want to try more things like dates and bananas. The problem is figuring out how to carry them. The fruit snack fit into the pocket on my handheld water bottle. Does anyone reading this have any suggestions? A waist pack is out of the question. I felt great throughout the entire 10 mile run, except for the cold headwind.

So, here's how my day went. I decided to go for Cheat #3 today, since I had that 10 mile run. I was definitely hungrier today too. But at the end of the day, my calorie intake was still about 1,800. I'm trying to figure out how much more I should be eating when I work out more. I try to listen to my body and eat to satiety, which is what is recommended in the Paleo Solution book. When you are eating lots of fruits and veggies and lean proteins, it feels like you are eating all the time and eating lots of food, but it's not the most calorically-dense.

6:00AM Wake up. Eight hours of sleep, but sleep quality was about 6/10.

6:30AM Blueberries, imitation crab meat, 1 dark chocolate square

7:30AM 10 mile run, with a little fruit snack thing at mile 8

9:30AM Banana and Heed electrolyte drink

10:45AM 1 egg and 4 egg whites, sweet potatoes

11:30AM apple

4:00PM ground turkey, spaghetti squash, marinara sauce, baby carrots

5:00PM CHEAT#3 Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt (8oz)

6:30PM Salad (romaine lettuce, 1/2 roma tomato, 1/4 avocado, 4 oz haddock fish), lo-cal salad dressing, 2 dark chocolate squares, 5 strawberries

Macronutrient breakdown: 1810 calories, 91 g. protein, 296 g. carbs, 41 g. fat.

After one week, I don't feel any leaner. I don't like to weigh myself, since the number on the scale does not accurately reflect body composition. But it's only been a week and I am feeling really good! I could definitely use a good night's sleep though!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

lara bars.

Michelle said...

Yes! Lara bars! I was at Mother's Market the night before and, I couldn't believe that they did not have any Lara Bars! But yes those would be gooood!