Monday, June 15, 2009

Holcomb Valley 33 Mile


This weekend I went to Big Bear to run the Holcomb Valley 33 Mile race. I ran this last year and loved it! This was actually my first ultra in almost year. Since falling on a trail run and spraining my ankle last summer, it has been a long road back to where I was in my training last year. It's good to be back!

I remember a lot of people having trouble with the altitude last year, but it didn't seem to affect me. However, the last few weeks, I've had a little bit of a sore throat that just won't go away. And early on in the race, I could feel my lungs cramping and burning. It was so uncomfortable. I had to stop a lot while running along some flat sections or even downhill just because it hurt to breathe. It was a little frustrating since my legs felt good and I should have been running those easy sections! Oh well, every race, you have to take what your body will give you!

I love these shoes and Dirty Girl Gaiters!


Here I am at the mile 21 aid station. . . just 12 miles to go!

I remember last year finishing the race and since I drove separately from my friends who were running the shorter 15 mile option, they had all gone home! So last year, I crossed the finish line, grabbed some food and water, and then took off. This year, more of us ran the 33 mile option, and some of those who ran the 15 mile race stayed around at the finish. Seriously, one of the reasons I do these races is so I can spend time with quality people like this bunch!


Just chillin' after the race! Lorraine, Tracy, guy in blue, E-rod, Corrine, Janet, me, and Alexa!

Then something quite unexpected happened. One of the race volunteers came up to me and told me I won a prize. I thought it was a prize from the raffle. Then she said I won 1st place for my age group! Haha! That means there were only a couple of girls in my age group, but I won this beauty. . .


My finishing time was 7:31, which is a new 50K PR for me. It's still not a great time for a 50K, but hey, at least I'm improving, right??? That's all we can ask of ourselves is to give it our personal best, and continually strive for improvement!

5 comments:

Greg said...

Congrats! Nice recap and photos!

Beiyi Zheng said...

Congrats!!!

Unknown said...

that piece of "woodware" will look nicely in your future cabin.

you looked good yesterday...javelina?

Michelle said...

hmmm, Javelina? hmmmm.....

Stuart said...

Great stuff congrats on the AG WIN!