Monday, September 8, 2008

Making a comeback!

So it's been 8 weeks since I sprained my ankle. I completely avoided running until about 2 weeks ago. I tried to stay in shape by doing lots of spin classes and lifting weights. I started out with an easy, flat 4 mile run on the bike path along the beach. I was pleased to find that I was in no pain. A couple days later, I ran in the Disneyland 5K, which I signed up for a while back. I took it really easy, wearing an ankle brace. That race was a lot of fun, too!
I did another 4 mile run last week, and then a 5.5 mile trail run at Whiting Ranch on Saturday. The trail run was like the real test, because of the uneven terrain. My ankle felt great the entire run! The rest of me. . . well, that's another story. I felt so out of shape going up and down those hills! I kept thinking about how just two months ago I liked to run no less than 16-24 miles every Saturday. And 1.38 miles into Saturday's run, I looked down at my Garmin wondering if I should turn back! Despite the fact that I struggled a bit with that run, it felt so good to be out on the trails and to be with my running friends again! I missed everybody!
Today I came home from work and ran 8 miles on pavement with no ankle brace, and felt great the entire time! I think I had a big smile on my face the entire last mile because I could tell my ankle is much stronger now. Even though I really have to be careful and ease back into it, I can't wait to get back to my long-distance trail running!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, that is so awesome! It was great to see you back on the trails. You go, girl! -- Greg