Sunday, June 1, 2008

Memorial Day Run: Laguna Hills Half Marathon


I've done at least one race each month this year, so with the month of May about to wrap up, I realized, I volunteered at the PCT 50, but didn't run a race myself this month. Well, thanks to my good friend, Greg, I got a free entry into the Laguna Hills Half Marathon, which is held every Memorial Day. I thought this would be a nice speed workout, since it was on pavement and a relatively flat course. The last half marathon I did was the same one last year, and since I feel my running has improved a lot this past year, I was thinking, "PR."
My very first half marathon was ran in 1:58:21. That was the Carlsbad Half in January 2005. I had done 5 half marathons since then, but none of them were as fast as that first one. But I was confident I would get a new PR this year!
I started out this race running really fast! I was running 8:20's, which I maintained for about 5 miles. I began doing the math in my head, trying to figure out what my finishing time could be. I was feeling very optimistic, but then I began to slow down considerably. I was putting in the same amount of effort, but I could tell my legs were not moving as fast.
I finished the race with a time of 1:59:19. So close! But, I still enjoyed the race! It was a great way to start my day. I actually went on a 6.5 mile hike with some friends that afternoon. With Holcomb Valley coming up, I'd like to try and get as much mileage on my feet as possible. If I can't PR on the half marathon, I hope I can PR in the 50K! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Thanks for the advice! I actually was pushing myself too hard and pulled a tendon in my ankle...OUCH! I am taking some time off from running which is hard because I am really enjoying it. I can't wait to start running again.